Do you want to be challenged with hard real-world problems in the areas of national security, environmental responsibility, and energy reliability? Do you want to be the innovator and problem solver that makes our nation safer and stronger? Does the thought of working on cutting-edge applied research around some of our nation’s top risk and decision topics sound compelling to you? Do you want to work side by side with world class scientists and engineers?
If you answered yes, please join us as a early to mid-career staff member in the Risk & Decision Sciences Group. We’re looking for smart, creative and motivated people who have a passion for solving critical national challenges. The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking highly qualified candidates with expertise in quantitative risk modeling, and with the drive to apply their skills to an eclectic mix of national challenges. The qualified candidate will become part of a world-class team helping assess and manage the risk to resilient energy production and delivery, to a sustainable global environment, and to effective national security.
- Have sufficient depth of understanding of uncertainty methods to be comfortable applying them to one or more applications, including risk, nuclear energy, cyber security, climate change, national security, natural systems, human factors, renewable energy, regulatory compliance, and complex engineered systems.
- Develop solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity based on policy or past practice for guidance.
- Work independently with oversight, seeking out mentoring opportunities.
- Contributes to the development of technical products for the project within the required level of quality, timeliness, and cost guidelines provided by the project manager.
- Publish research and participate in professional activities that advance the reputation of PNNL as a premier S&T institution.
- Effectively communicate uncertainty concepts and results, including contributing to the preparation of high-quality presentations, reports and papers.
The incumbent will be accountable to:
- The Risk Analysis Team Lead for general staff performance and development, operational discipline (e.g., maintaining training qualifications, procedural compliance, safe operations), and promoting cooperation and teamwork within group and projects.
- Program/Project Managers and Technology Leads for performing assigned project roles and following applicable project and laboratory procedures and performance of assigned tasks on time and within budget.
The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:
Level I: Contributions are task-related activities. Arrives at solutions by following defined policies and procedures. May work on discrete pieces of larger projects or simultaneously with different customers or on different projects.
Level II: Contributes significantly to completing organizational projects. Identifies opportunities and issues and brings them to management’s attention. May work on discrete pieces of larger projects or simultaneously with different customers or on different projects.
- Bachelor's degree and 0-2 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree and 3+ years of relevant experience or advanced degree and 0-2 years of relevant experience.
- Degree in a technical field, preferably, although not necessarily, Engineering, Operations Research, Statistics, or Economics.
- Knowledge of, and practical experience in, use of quantitative risk models.
- Knowledge of, and practical experience in analysis methods including expert elicitation methods, Monte Carlo analysis, and decision tools.
- The successful candidate will have a broad range of skills and familiarity with several of the following areas: probability, statistics, decision analysis, risk analysis, modeling and simulation, Multi-Criteria Analysis, and mathematical modeling.
- Past performance must demonstrate attributes of being self-motivated and self-directed.
- In addition to analytical skills, a successful candidate will have excellent written and oral communications skills and experience in preparing, reviewing, and presenting the results of complex technical reports and recommendation to senior management.