Zoological Intern: Freshwater Team
Position: Zoological Intern: Freshwater Team
Reports To: Curator of Freshwater and Life Support Systems
The Zoological Freshwater Intern is responsible for observing and assisting the Freshwater Team in the daily care of the various animal species at the LLPA including freshwater fish, tortoises, reptiles, and invertebrates. Daily responsibilities will include but are not limited to: observing and learning from the freshwater staff, completing daily/weekly tasks, the set-up, maintenance and care of freshwater tanks and enclosures, preparing and dispensing food, cleaning and maintenance of back of house areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist in maintaining the highest level of cleanliness and quality of all freshwater exhibits and back of house areas.
· Assist with daily husbandry of freshwater exhibits.
· Assist in food preparation for various species.
· Assist in monitoring the various animals for overall health.
· Adhere to safety protocols.
· Complete all quizzes and evaluations after retaining information/knowledge from hands on and classroom lessons.
· Completion of all assigned projects prior to end of internship.
· Completion of all other duties as assigned.
· Must have completed a minimum of sophomore year at an accredited college or university.
· Working toward obtaining a degree in a related field (Animal Sciences, Marine Science, Biology, Ecology, Conservation, etc).
· Basic understanding or interest in animal disease and medicine preferred.
· Must be able to follow basic instruction.
· Must demonstrate attention to detail.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· With training, have a basic knowledge and understanding of what is needed to become a member of an animal zoological team.
· With training, be able to identify most species at LLPA and become familiar with the biological systems of most species at LLPA.
Scope of position:
The Zoological Freshwater Intern must commit to 20 hours per week. The Freshwater Team works M-F from approximately 8AM-5PM. Interns can work half or full days any day of the week with the following restriction: No more than 8 hours on Fri/Sat and no more than 8 hours on Sun/Mon. The duration of the internship will be for a total of 10 weeks. This is an unpaid position.
Physical Demands of the Job:
· This opportunity requires long periods of standing, crouching, kneeling, lifting, and walking.
· Must be able to work on ladders and elevated platforms
· Must be able to work in humid, high heat, and wet conditions, often on floors that are slippery
· Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Special Working Conditions:
While this internship description attempts to describe the essential functions of the position, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. It does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this internship at any time.
It is the responsibility of the Volunteer Service Department to:
· Maintain records for all active interns.
· Issue each intern an identification badge and uniform shirt(s).
· Provide ongoing support and assistance with intern/staff relationships.
· Administer and provide information regarding opportunity and benefits available for active interns.
· Provide a written reference pertaining to the intern’s experience (hours contributed, length of commitment, job description) as requested.
Please submit an application at http://www.thelivingplanet.com/internships/ .
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Loveland Living Planet Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. LLPA does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected class under federal, state or local laws.