Zoological Intern: Endotherm Team
Position: Zoological Intern: Endotherm Team
Reports To: Curator of Mammals and Birds
The Zoological Endotherm Intern is responsible for observing and assisting the Endotherm team in the daily care of the various animal species at the LLPA including mammal and bird species. Daily responsibilities will include but are not limited to: observing and learning from the zoological staff completing daily/weekly tasks, food preparation, cleaning husbandry areas and exhibits, and daily maintenance of exhibits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist in maintaining the highest level of cleanliness and quality of all animal habitats and back of house areas.
· Assist with daily husbandry of exhibits.
· Assist in food preparation for various species of animal.
· Assist in monitoring the various animals for overall health.
· Assist in preparing daily enrichment for various animals.
· Adhere to safety protocols.
· Prove ability to retain information/knowledge from hands on and classroom lessons.
· Completion of all assigned projects prior to end of internship.
· Complete other duties as assigned.
· Must have completed a minimum of sophomore year at an accredited college or university.
· Working toward obtaining a degree in a related field (Animal Sciences, Biology, Ecology, Conservation, etc).
· Must be able to follow basic instruction.
· Must demonstrate attention to detail.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· With training, have a basic knowledge and understanding of what is needed to become an Animal Keeper/Trainer.
· With training, be able to identify most species at LLPA and become familiar with the biological systems of most species at LLPA.
Scope of position:
The Zoological Endotherm Intern must commit to 20 hours per week. The Endotherm Team works M-F from approximately 8AM-5PM. Interns can work half or full days any day of the week. The duration of the internship will be for a total of 10 weeks. This is an unpaid position.
Physical Demands of the Job:
· This opportunity requires long periods of standing, crouching, kneeling, lifting, and walking.
· Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
· Must be able to work on ladders and on elevated platforms.
· Must be willing to work in various weather conditions: from high heat and high humidity to below freezing and high humidity.
· Must be able to work in wet conditions, often of floors that are slippery.
Special Working Conditions:
While this internship description attempts to describe the essential functions of the position, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. It does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this internship at any time.
It is the responsibility of the Volunteer Service Department to:
· Maintain records for all active interns.
· Issue each intern an identification badge and uniform shirt(s).
· Provide ongoing support and assistance with intern/staff relationships.
· Administer and provide information regarding opportunity and benefits available for active interns.
· Provide a written reference pertaining to the intern’s experience (hours contributed, length of commitment, job description) as requested.
Please submit an application at http://www.thelivingplanet.com/internships/ .
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com .
Loveland Living Planet Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. LLPA does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected class under federal, state or local laws.