Office of Language Access (OLA) Summer Intern
Intern Job Description – Office of Language Access (OLA)
At the Trial Court, we believe in Justice with Speed and Dignity. This is an amazing opportunity to see Justice at Work! Join the Trial Court for an 8-to-10-week paid internship this summer and experience the tremendous work the Trial Courts do every day.
Please complete the on-line application and upload a current resume.
The Trial Court is committed to:
- fair and impartial administration of justice;
- protection of constitutional and statutory rights and liberties;
- equal access to justice for all in a safe and dignified environment with policies and practices that strengthen and support diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- efficient, effective, and accountable resolution of disputes;
- prompt and courteous service to the public by committed and dedicated professionals utilizing best practices in a manner that inspires public trust and confidence.
Department Mission Statement – Language Access and Court Records:
The Language Access and Court Records Department includes the multidimensional operations of the Office of Language Access (OLA), Office of Transcription Services (OTS), and the Records Management Centers (RMC), ensuring all laws, court rules, regulations, and standards for court programs and services are met, including but not limited to Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 13166 that strengthened Title IV in 2000, the Trial Court's Uniform Transcript Format (UTF) of 2008, the Standards and Procedures of the Office of Language Access of 2021, and the Supreme Judicial Court's Rules on records retention and trial transcriptions for fee generating appointments.
This Department provides statewide oversight of court programs and services relative to spoken language access to interpreters and translators for limited English proficient (LEP), and sign language or communication access real-time translation for Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) individuals, and access to administrative records and trial transcripts of digitally recorded court proceedings for the bench, the bar, the public, and self-represented litigants (SRL) to effectively access all aspects of the judicial system.
Office of Language Access (OLA)
· Assist with answering phone calls and responding to email requests or questions from the courts, requesting interpretation and translation services for limited English proficiency (LEP), or deaf and hard of hearing (DHH) individuals
· Assist with digitally entering interpreter requests for in-person, phone, or video remote service
· Assist with the interpreter scheduling process, including assisting with interpreter availability to serve confirmations, supporting the work of the scheduling team in dispatching interpreters to next court locations, communicating effectively with the courts, interpreters, and team members to ensure language access services are fulfilled
· Assist with various administrative and office support tasks such as photocopying, scanning, filing OLA records
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree (or high school diploma, or graduate degree, etc.) from an accredited college or university
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills