Salt Lake City Council Office
451 S State Street, Room 304
Salt Lake City, UT
Communication internship opportunity
Paid part-time position: $16 per hour Date of closing: Friday, August 19, 5 p.m.
Looking for a strong team member to help expand the visibility of the Salt Lake City Council through printed and electronic newsletters, social media , and other communication platforms. If you have an interest and background in producing creative work, problem-solving, welcoming feedback from team members, meeting project deadlines, and being flexible and patient, this internship is for you.
· Hybrid work schedule. Work two days a week in office.
· Attend bi-monthly in-person communications meeting to give updates on projects in progress
· Work closely with our social media and graphic design teams to create high quality and timely content to post on the Council’s website and social media when needed, such as:
o Creating website and social media graphics
o Taking photographs at events
· Basic video editing including captioning and cutting down to format different platforms
· Create weekly social media reports (includes gathering direct messages and comments) and present info to Council Members and staff in email.
· Schedule monthly holidays/days of remembrance and create graphics for these days to post on social media
Strong accountability and communication skills are essential. Spanish or other second language fluencies, including American sign language, are a plus.
Position will require 20 hours of work each week, with a predictable regular schedule. We are open to identify work hours around your school schedule.
This is a three- month internship with the potential of an extension.
Email your resume to: Janice.firstname.lastname@example.org; Amber.email@example.com; and Lehua.firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Self-starter who can work with little supervision
· Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
· Strong organizational skills
· Ability to multitask while meeting deadlines
· Understands current trends in digital marketing
· Comfortable with research and analysis
· Ability to excel in a fast-paced team environment
· Willingness to collaborate with the team to produce content with ‘tone’ of local government
· Ability to brainstorm and create effective communication materials
· Potential to identify improvement of current team processes
· One year of graphic design work
· 6 months to one year of video editing work
· Ability to use Adobe Creative Suite and Canva
o Photoshop and illustrator mainly
· Basic photography skills and the ability to use different forms of electronics (camera, iPad, iPhone) for photography
· Ability to attend some Tuesday night Council Meetings as well as weekend events to take photographs
· Project management software familiarity