Missouri Geological Survey Division Information Officer (5010114)
Salary: $2,000.00 - $2,167.00 semi-monthly
Job Location: This position is with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Office of Communications, and will be located at 111 Fairgrounds Road, Rolla, MO.
Why you’ll love this position:
Love Nature? Join a team of enthusiastic, creative professionals who work to communicate the importance of Missouri’s geology and natural resources to the public.
What you’ll do:
- Provide balanced and timely review and editing of technical publications while working with authors to understand technical perspectives
- Coordinate with program/division leadership
- Serve as MGS contact for OA/State Printing (printed material, including publications, maps, forms, business cards, etc.)
- External content development and editing with division approval on GovDelivery messages, factsheets, news releases, website content, social media, PowerPoint, public meeting materials, email responses, speaking points and forms
- Serve as initial contact for MGS media requests: Respond, fulfill requests, and coordinate interviews with appropriate team member, including program/division leadership for awareness
- Develop press packets as needed for events
- Provide news releases, website content, and social media support for public meetings as needed
- Coordinate with MGS program directors and division leadership to draft content and provide photo recommendations for the department’s Missouri Resources magazine
- Draft and edit content provided from MGS programs for weekly Governor’s Office report
- Internal messaging – draft speaking points for MGS leadership
- Maintain, update MGS content on department intranet
- Semi-monthly meetings with division and/or deputy directors
- Monthly meetings/update with division programs
- Maintain, update MGS content on department website
- Work with MGS and Office of Communications teams to ensure 508 compliance
- Work with division team on text for apps as needed
- Coordinate posting of MGS public notices with web content coordinator; ensure accurate and timely postings
- Create relevant and timely content for social media platforms
- Work with division director’s office and programs to develop content related to their areas
- Coordinate with Office of Communications social media team on deployment
- Assist with coordination on behalf of MGS
- Develop news releases, social media, web updates, speaking points as needed
- Assist with MGS museum exhibits, including content development and graphic coordination and support as needed
- Represent MGS on Earth Day and Missouri State Fair committees
- Concept/outline review, draft content, edit, coordinate division approval
All you need for success:
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant experience in the fields of journalism, marketing, or public relations. (Substitutions may be allowed.)
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Hold a strategic vision and be audience minded.
- Ability to collaborate with subject matter experts.
- Ability to accurately and confidently represent the department.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines with professionalism.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, within diverse teams and environments.
- Knowledge of AP style.
More reasons to love this position:
The State of Missouri offers an excellent benefits package that includes a defined pension plan, generous amounts of leave and holiday time, and eligibility for health insurance coverage. Your total compensation is more than the dollars you receive in your paycheck. To help demonstrate the value of working for the State of Missouri, we have created an interactive Total Compensation Calculator. This tool provides a comprehensive view of benefits and more that are offered to prospective employees. The Total Compensation Calculator and other applicant resources can be found here.
If you have questions about this position please contact:
Susan Bloomer 573-751-1010- or email@example.com
Aarick Roberto (DNR Recruiter), (573) 522-1503 or Aarick.Roberto@dnr.mo.gov
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.