The Friend Magazine Writer/Editor – 356287
The Church magazines offer editing, writing, and design internships three times a year. We are currently hiring for positions during September–December. The internship is 40 hours a week for the four-month period. Medical benefits are offered. Position is located at the Church Office Building but may be from home, depending on arrangements made with hiring staff at time of hire.
The Friend intern should have an interest in writing for children, experience with creative writing and video production, and an interest in helping meet the needs of children worldwide. The intern helps find and write authentically global stories; evaluates, edits, and proofreads manuscripts; and helps produce videos and email newsletter content. Other tasks include interviewing, adapting and creating content for the web and social media, and writing activities and home evening ideas. The intern participates in all aspects of the editorial process, and opportunities for writing for the other Church magazines are also available. The magazine is published in 48 languages but is produced first in English, so foreign language skills are not required. International experience is helpful.
Applicants for these internships must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited college or university, or they must have recently finished a degree from an accredited college or university (within one year of beginning their internship). Applicants must also be available for video interviews if they are selected as finalists.
Applicants who are working toward an editing minor or are taking classes with an editing/writing emphasis are preferred. Other qualifications include the following:
- At least one semester of college-level editing or writing experience, such as for a literary journal, in a writing lab, on a newspaper staff, or as a professor's assistant
- Strong writing, revising, copyediting, and proofreading skills
- Sound understanding of Church doctrine, history, organization, and policy
- The ability to manage many projects simultaneously
- The ability to give careful attention to detail, sustain concentration for long periods of time, and maintain the highest level of accuracy
- The ability to work well with people and present an image of professionalism
- Video production experience
- Social media skills
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter
- A resume that includes a link to your digital portfolio
- Digital portfolios should include:
- editing and writing samples
- a 100-word teaser that invites readers to follow a link to explore an article (any article [for example, a longer article found in this month’s Liahona]) further
Writing samples should highlight your ability to write for specific audiences. You might consider writing a new article on a gospel topic that could be published in the publication you’re applying for. Editing samples should clearly show your edits (so make sure track changes are on or, if it’s a hard copy, that your editing marks are legible).
Find more information at bit.ly/ChurchMagsFall2023