YA Weekly Writer/Editor – 356288
The Church magazines offer editing, writing, and design internships three times a year. We are currently hiring for positions during September–December. The internship is 40 hours a week for the four-month period. Medical benefits are offered. Position is located at the Church Office Building but may be from home, depending on arrangements made with hiring staff at time of hire.
The YA Weekly intern helps plan and create content for a global young adult audience. Assignments include reviewing and editing submissions and other manuscripts, writing articles, working with authors, interviewing young adults, and participating in staff meetings and discussions for planning and development of monthly themes. Writing, rewriting, and editing skills will be assessed using the applicant's portfolio.
Applicants for these internships must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited college or university, or they must have recently finished a degree from an accredited college or university (within one year of beginning their internship).
Applicants must also be available for video conference interviews.
Applicants who are working toward an editing minor or are taking classes with an editing/writing emphasis are preferred. Other qualifications include the following:
• At least one semester of college-level editing or writing experience, such as for a literary journal, in a writing lab, on a newspaper staff, or as a professor's assistant
• Strong writing, revising, copyediting, and proofreading skills
• Sound understanding of Church doctrine, history, organization, and policy
• The ability to manage many projects simultaneously
• The ability to give careful attention to detail, sustain concentration for long periods of time, and maintain the highest level of accuracy
• The ability to work well with people and present an image of professionalism
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter
- A resume that includes a link to your digital portfolio
- Digital portfolios should include writing and editing samples
- Writing samples should highlight your ability to write specifically for a young adult audience. You might consider writing a new article on a gospel topic that could be published in YA Weekly.
- Editing samples should clearly show your edits (so make sure track changes are on or, if it’s a hard copy, that your editing marks are legible).
Find more information at bit.ly/ChurchMagsFall2023